V’s Cabbage Stew
Yield: 4 servings (mostly colored and sulfur)
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 2 fists green cabbage: chopped
- 1 fist red cabbage: chopped (optional)
- 2 fists carrot: chopped
- 2 fists onion: chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
MEATBALLS (optional (If not making because of egg content, use mild Italian sausage)
- 1 tbsp almond flour
- 1 pound of ground pork
- 1 large egg
- 1 large garlic clove: chopped
- 1 fist parsley: chopped
- 1 quart bone broth
- Olive oil or desired good medium or high heat fat (see Guide to Fats and Oils handout)
- Salt to taste (preferably pink Himalayan sea salt)
- Black pepper to taste
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat with enough desired good fat to cover pan. Add 1 onion to oil and heat until golden in color.
- Add cabbage, cut into big chunks to pan until golden in color (about 5 minutes). I actually like it charred a little on the edges. Once golden, then add your bone broth.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Begin to make meatballs (optional – if not making, use mild Italian sausage)
MEATBALLS (skip if using sausage)
- Add almond flour, garlic, parsley, egg, remaining onion, salt and pepper to ground pork and mix (I personally use my hands and jump right in there mixing until blended).
- Heat cast iron or sauté pan with desired fat over medium heat.
- Add medium size rolled meatball or whole sausage to oil. Cooking for 7 minutes turning once.
- Remove and put aside
- Check cabbage cooking until fork soft. Adding more bone broth as needed.
- 10 minutes before serving, add meatballs or sausages cut into inch size pieces, and salt/pepper to cabbage cooking over medium with lid on pot.
- Once potatoes are fork soft (about 5 minutes) remove from heat and serve in a large bowl.
This is a flavorful recipe full of healthy nutrients! Enjoy!