There are so many reasons to examine the link between nutrition and brain health. As a brief response to a recent question about my interest in nutrition, here are just 3 lesser-known reasons we should care about the gut-brain axis.
This video is the first of a series on the link between brain health and nutrition called, “Food for Thought.” Check out more on YouTube!
Food for Thought: The kind of calories you put in your body affect your brain.
- Much of the dry matter of the human brain is lipid
- Children are not to be deprived of healthy fats during development for brain and nervous system
- Inflammation anywhere in the body may inflame the brain
- The gut is often a primary source of inflammation
The Gut-Brain Axis
- Connection between brain and digestive function is known as the “gut-brain axis”
- Impaired functionality of either the brain or gut can affect functionality of the other